Confessions of a Shop-a-holic

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

pinterest


I can not recall when my love for shopping began. I actually think that it is a genetic trait that I inherited from my mother. When I was old enough to get my first job without a work permit, I remember always going to the mall on the weekends with my friends to shop. Going to the mall was always one of my favorite past times and not to just hang out ... to buy new, beautiful clothes. I can even recall always being very neat and organized when it came to my wardrobe. My closet stayed organized, so I could always tell when my older sisters borrowed my clothes without permission. A strange little lady I was and still am. Lol! 

Now that I am an adult and building a career for myself my shopping habits have not changed. If anything they may have gotten worse because I can afford to indulge in my favorite past time more than I care to admit. Working in retail doesn't help either. I say all of this to say ... when is enough enough? There is always going to be new trends, new designers, new brands, a new Pantone color of the year. The fashion cycle is never ending. It is kind of like being a cat chasing a ball of string or a dog chasing its tail. Never ending excitement! I keep trying to challenge myself to shop my closet considering that there is a plethora of abandoned clothing with tags still on them. (I am currently covering my face in shame). 

After playing dress up in my closet for an hour I have finally decided that enough is enough. I am going to go on a shopping hiatus and try to wear everything in my closet with the tags still on them. I have  even been reading a book to help with the process and I will be sharing that with you all when I finish it. But here are a few tips to help all of my fellow shop-a-holics "kick the habit". 

1) Avoid Sales: You will get Jedi mind tricked into thinking that you need it just because it is a good deal. 

2) 1 in 1 out: If you absolutely have to buy something, you must get rid of something else. This not only helps your closet from being too packed which makes it more difficult for you to get dressed, it also gives you the opportunity to evaluate if you actually need what you are getting ready to buy. 

3) SAY NO to Multiples: They say if you find something you love buy it in every color. WRONG!! Just wear the one that you initially purchased because you love it so much. That way you will get more bang for your buck. If you have multiples of the same items one or more of them are going to end up collecting dust with the rest of the unworn items in the closet. 

4) SHOP YOUR CLOSET: It can actually be fun to rediscover old pieces that haven't been worn in a while or find a cool way to style something that you purchased a while ago, but never wore. Keep your closet clean and organized and display your favorite bags, shoes, and baubles to make your closet feel more like a boutique. 

5) Keep it Simple: Get ride of things you don't wear. Sell them, donate them, or recycle them if they are too beat up to donate. Find a way to organize your closet that works for you (I will give my tips for organization in another post). And appreciate what you have no matter if you paid 1.00 or 1000.00 for it. You spent your hard earned money so it's your investment. 

Now who is ready for the no shopping challenge. I think I am going to start it in April. Ironically my birthday month (insert crying tears emoji here). 

Until Next Time, 
Vanessa A. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)